Friday, August 08, 2014

The truth of Baking Soda and Baking Powder in dog foods.

Quickly I wanted to write this up. I've seen websites that warn people that baking soda and baking powder are highly toxic for dogs. The problem is that they're not explaining the whole story.

I emailed the ASPCA's Pet Nutrition service with this question:
I like to make my own dog treats so I know what is in them, but there seems to be a raging debate on the use of baking powder and baking soda. Are they, or are they not toxic?
To my delightful surprise, they actually responded.
Dear Cindy,

Thank you for contacting the ASPCA Pet Nutrition and Science Advisory Service.

Baking powder and baking soda can cause gastrointestinal upset and electrolyte imbalances in large doses. However, in smaller doses, such as those used in pet treats, these ingredients should not pose a problem for your pet.

Thank you again, Cindy, for contacting the ASPCA Pet Nutrition and Science Advisory Service.

Sincerely,

Jessica XXXXXXX

ASPCA Pet Nutrition and Science Advisory Service

www.aspca.org

1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

The information in this email should not be substituted for advice from your veterinarian or a behaviorist.
So there you have it! I made sure to add the disclaimer, just in case.

Oh and if you want further proof, here is a screencap (just click to go to the full size), with personal information blackened out. Keep in mind that there are two scrollbars on the right because I had to take two screen caps and zip them together.


No comments: