Sunday, June 01, 2014

Ancestry: My Best Frenemy

I love genealogy. Always have. I remember as a little girl, reading about my ancestors that my Great Aunt Virginia researched. I dreamed of what it was like for my ancestors and found myself sad for not knowing them personally.

I'm always on the lookout for new things. I'm getting ready to join DAR. There is little I have to do. My Aunt Virginia did most of it for me. I just have to prove up to my great grandfather, which isn't much. Still, what is odd is that I can even find marriage records for great great great great grandparents (no, I'm not kidding) but I cannot find my great grandparents' marriage record. ANYWHERE. I have the date and everything. It's just not found.

We KNOW they were married, so it's not like a skeleton in the closet or anything. In fact, they were pillars in both the church and the community. Their marriage date is a fact. I just wish I knew where my aunt found the record because I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. The point of this is to demonstrate why Ancestry gets on my nerves... part I, because there are many.

Take this...

Notice on the left, I have "male" added as a filter? Then why are the first two hits a woman named Mary? I don't know about you all, but I've never heard of a man named Mary before.

Point is, be careful with that. There is a lot of the new search that needs fixing.

No comments: