Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Waffle House Facts, Taiwan's Golden Dragon Tower and the news.

I always have opinions. I'm loaded with them. It doesn't mean I'm right, or you're wrong or whatever. It means simply that I'm opinionated. It means that I should be able to speak freely in this society. If I want to insult someone, I should be able to. If I want to compliment someone, I should be able to. I am a firm believer in the freedom of speech and I will exercise that right to the fullest.

Many times though I don't actually have an opinion. I'm indifferent. Wait, not many times. Some times. Whatever. It happens. Moving on.

News comes in waves. Some days there really isn't any major news. It's the same thing every day. I've no problem with that, but those days are repetitive. I don't really have opinions on those days. Today, there isn't really much.

We'll start with something fun. As I've mentioned before, I see a ton of "fun facts" far and wide on the web. Most of which aren't fun and nearly all fall into two categories. They're either incredibly uninteresting or they're something I already knew. Rarely do I come upon an article that's actually interesting and things I didn't know, but also fun. This article on the Waffle House is fun for me.

One thing that stands out for me are the number of waffles vs hash browns per minute. My family and I have said all our lives that people go to Waffle House for the hash browns, not the waffles. For this reason it should be more appropriately named the Hash Brown House. lol!

Here's something that bothers me. You see, there are rules in journalism. The media is supposed to report facts without opinions. If they add opinions, then it's called an editorial, not an actual news article. BIG difference. What I expect to see in an article are facts, not suspicions or rumors. When you start seeing those, then it turns into tabloid journalism. A reputable news agency will state what are facts and what facts are not yet known.

Consider CNN's article whose title is long: "3 arrested for roles in construction of collapsed Taiwan apartment tower". Now keep in mind that by the time you read this, it may have been updated or fixed, so here is the archived article as well. It is a snapshot of the page as I'm reading it when I write this. Now the first thing to notice is its length. Including captions, twitter, instagram text and article text that is on the page, this article totals 2,411 words. However, the part that pertains to the actual headline is only 332 words long. Look at all that filler. Of course, I was including captions in the first one and not the second.

Either way, the article is clearly propaganda. There are no facts that support why these people were arrested. Cans are suspicious, but it doesn't say that authorities cite this as the reason for the arrest. In fact, it doesn't say anywhere what authorities said. It's all speculation. Maybe there was faulty construction, but maybe it's the tallest building, or maybe the ground was unstable there or maybe there were more people in the building than others. I just think that if you're going to report something, back it up with facts or state very clearly that it is unknown. Don't give us sob stories to support your theory.

I am the kind of person who believes in survival of the fittest. I'm not the fittest, so do not wrongly suppose that I'm being high and mighty here. I'd probably be the first to die in a disaster. Well, that's something I have to live with. However, sometimes being clever can save your life. Knowing how to outsmart someone or something is key in survival. Now there I have an edge, I believe. Democrats will probably disagree but who cares? I believe it and that's all that matters to me.

That said, I think the best way to fix the population problem in this world is to remove all warning labels off of everything and let stupid protesters do stupid things to themselves. I have no sorrow for those who are willing to kill themselves over their beliefs. Let them go so we don't have to listen to them anymore. Do I sound dispassionate? Maybe. However I live a life where I believe we're responsible for ourselves. For this reason my doctrine is if they're dumb enough to do it, let them.

For this reason, I feel no sorrow for the man in this article, "Man Dies After Setting Himself on Fire Outside Kensington Palace". Fine. Good riddance. What cracks me up more than anything is the first line of the article. They apparently believe as I do since it says, "The royal family was not at the palace when the incident occurred." Well, thank goodness for that right? That was definitely the first thing I'd want to know. :/

Did you know that New Orleans isn't the home of the Mardi Gras? It isn't. Tell that to journalists today. For those of you who don't know, today is Fat Tuesday. This is the celebration of the beginning of the end of Mardi Gras. I won't go into the details but suffice it to say that Mardi Gras is all over the news. I challenge you all to remind them where Mardi Gras originates and is still held to this day!

Answers to questions no one is asking:

"Katie Holmes Interview: Matt Lauer Brings Up Tom Cruise's Fiery Response From The Past, How Does She React?"
"Why Yahoo Couldn't Adapt to the Smartphone Era"
"Why does Kobe Bryant like LeBron James now?"

Congratulations are in order for the Broncos on their win this past Sunday. Perhaps Peyton Manning can quit teasing the NFL fan community by saying he's going to retire..... every year.

Gloria Steinhem is a bitch. There, I said it. She is and that's that. She condescendingly told women that "there is a special place in hell" for women who disagree with her. Tell me that's not a bitch like attitude. There is a special place in hell all right. It's got her calling card too. That's where I also stopped reading. I've decided she's not newsworthy after all.

News that citizens figured out for themselves and wondered why it took officials this long to figure it out too:

"Islamic State will continue to target the U.S., top intelligence officials say"
"US intelligence chief: we might use the internet of things to spy on you"
"'Happy Birthday' Headed to Public Domain"

How was your day?


No comments: