Saturday, September 19, 2009

Basic Mock Alla Panna (Alfredo Sauce)

I call it mock because as I mentioned earlier that this isn't really authentic Alla Panna. It is still just amazing though. I considered following in Alfredo di Lelio's footsteps and calling it Magnoliasouth Sauce, but I don't have that kind of audacity.

That said, here is my simple basic recipe, one that I created by combining several recipes. There may be one identical to mine out there, but as far as I know this is my own creation. Never say anything absolute. That's my motto.
  • 2 sticks butter (I didn't use margarine)
  • 2 tsp fresh garlic, crushed
  • 2 (8 oz) pkg. Neufchatel (or cream cheese)
  • 4 c. milk
  • 12 oz. Parmigiano (or Parmesan), grated
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp dried basil leaves
In a dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Once butter is heated well, stir in garlic and let it cook for about one minute.

Add Neufchatel, and stir it well (to avoid lumps) as it melts.

Once Neufchatel  is melted, slowly whisk in the milk.

Combine Parmigiano, pepper and basil. Stir the Parmigiano mixture in slowly, to avoid lumps as you did before.

It thickens (A LOT) as it cools. Cook it to desired consistency, thin with milk if needed.

Serve over hot cooked pasta of your choice.

TIP: Add cubed chicken for a delicious boost.

I used this chicken recipe then served it with Italian bread (which had my garlic butter spread over it) and a salad.

Great meal!

No comments: